I’m an avid reader. It’s not uncommon for me to read five books on Thanksgiving vacation or a dozen in a month.
But lately that is not the case.
Today is March 5th and you know how many books I’ve read? Brace yourself…
Zero. ZERO! Zilch. Nada.
I can’t even believe it! I’m so disappointed, but at the same time, I just haven’t felt like reading, so it is what it is.
You might wonder what I’ve been doing instead. Well, besides signing up for some courses this semester (Angela Watson’s The 40 Hour Teacher Workweek and a Udemy course about Freelancing, for example), I have also watched a lot of Netflix. I binge watched the first half of Parenthood, but lost steam around that point. So then I watched The Crown–the whole darn thing. (Sidenote: It is SO GOOD!)
But now it is time to get back to reading. One of the only problems? I am trying not to spend any extra money. Yeah, that means no books. Ugh. The solution? Read books I already own that I’ve never read before.
Don’t worry about me, there are plenty of them!
The other problem? Real books. As a Kindle Paperwhite reader, I usually have the ease of reading in the dark with my backlit, easy-to-read screens, so having to read actual books (gasp!) is kind of a pain. But, I’m going to put on my big (old fashioned) girl pants, and read some darn paper books.
Here’s what’s on my list so far:
- Hillbilly Elegy J.D. Vance (borrowed from a friend)
- Furiously Happy Jenny Lawson (OMG She is hilarious–if you are not easily offended, check out her blog: Thebloggess.com)
- The Shetland Bus David Howarth(copy on my Kindle and in hardcover)
- Glass Castle Jeanette Walls (I have one some where)
- Why not Me? Mindy Kaling (I have a signed copy!)
- On Writing Stephen King (Supposed to read this last summer–oops)
Notice these are all nonfiction? Apparently I tend to buy these and not read them. Now is the time to do it.
Hopefully I can stay strong and not give into the temptation to buy new books! Wish me luck (and/or send me some Amazon giftcards! hehehe)